Sunday 6 March 2011

FOW 7

This is about a find that I had been looking for.

Some time ago, my moher gave me this striking, Scandinavian locket ring. I'd always loved it, since childhood; just the idea of a locket ring is a thrill, you know, and the design is beautifully simple.

Only, when my mother kindly gave it to me, I realized the ring looked a bit boring on my hand.
So I started wondering how I could alter it without spoiling the original design. My first idea was soldering a scroll on the top; maybe a golden scroll.

Then I came across rutilated cabs, and it felt right— the subtle golden threads in it, the organic, chance mix of bright and rough.
But it had to be the right shape...
And then there it was, this marquise piece of loveliness.

So here is one of my ambitions for this year— that, by the end of 2011, I have taught myself to bezel-set well enough that I can finally alter this ring without damaging either the ring or the cab.
Fingers crossed!




Cette semaine, il s'agit d'une trouvaille que je cherchais avidement...

Il y a quelque temps, ma mère m'a fait cadeau de cette extraordinaire bague scandinave. Elle m'avait toujours énormément plu, depuis que j'étais toute petite. Le côté mystérieux de la bague à poison, vous savez, avec en plus une ligne originale.

Malheureusement, lorsqu'elle m'a été offerte, je me suis rendu compte qu'elle avait l'air assez fade sur ma main.
Je commençai donc à me demander comment je pourrais bien modifier cette bague sans altérer sa beauté. Ma première idée était de souder une volute sur le dessus, peut-être une volute en or.

Puis je découvris l'existence de ces cabochons "rutilés" : la subtilité des fils d'or, l'aspect à la fois brut et brillant, dû au hasard, organique.
Mais il fallait trouver la bonne forme...
Et quand j'ai trouvé ce cabochon taille marquise ça a fait "clic".

Voici donc l'une de mes ambitions pour cette année : avoir appris à sertir suffisamment bien pour pouvoir modifier ce bijou sans endommager ni la bague ni le cabochon.
Croisons les doigts !

No comments: