Wednesday 20 May 2009

MY car

These days, I am a bit obsessed by cars.
Only a bit, because I realize that, compared to other people, I really am not; but still relatively "obsessed" in that it 'has' become a major issue for me, finally getting a car of my own, and being free of the crowd of loonies and brats your have to deal with when travelling on trains and such...
So. Anyway.
I might actually be able to finally get a car next autumn. Just when the French car registration system has changed.
So, by the time I get 'my' car, whether it's new or second-hand, I will be faced with a major dilemma: which region do I pay allegiance to?
Let me explain: it used to be you didn't get a choice, because when you bought a car, the plate showed a sort of serial number (random from the point of view of the buyer) followed by the "département" number you actually lived in. If you moved, you had the plate changed because your car had to show where it lived.
Not so anymore.
From now on, French cars are going to carry the same plate throughtout their existence, even when they change hands or town.
Boring, I can hear you say.
Not completely. The perk here, is that when you buy a new car, or, a second-hand one still carrying an old plate, you can choose your "département" number. It doesn't have to be the one you actually inhabit.
I'm thinking French Polynesia...

Still, this is a far cry from the vanity plates you can buy in the US or even, as I just discovered, in Britain.
I just came across http://www.northumbrianumbers.com and this was how I realized how easily you could actually choose your number plate in Britain.
The site has this fun search function that allows you to look for an available car registration plate that would actually mean something for you. And the search results show you directly whether you can afford it or not...

Unfortunately, in my case, the one I would really, but really like is the one you get when you pick "jaguar" as a favourite car manufacturer... It would be so perfect for me.
Go look it up!
I'm afraid my banker would beg to differ...
But there are still a number of affordable options with the letters MEH. I would like that!
You'll see there are actually many different search keys you can use— budget (don't we all...) up or down, person, maker, etc.

This site has me back fantasizing about flying to Britain and driving back in my own Jag.
No, it's nothing to do with vanity— juste taste!

No comments: