Monday 8 October 2007

Designer Feature - SLACKSTITCHES

Meet Margaret Hamilton, of Slackstitches, and her irresistible militant bears!




Margaret is a deft hand at sewing, crochetting and knitting, as well as an enthusiastic blogger, as you'll realize if you look up her blog, her site and her Dawanda and Etsy shops.
http://slackstitches.blogspot.com/
www.slackstitches.com
en.dawanda.com/shop/slackstitches
slackstitches.etsy.com


1) What is your favourite word?
Create

2) What is / are your favourite material(s) / fabric(s)?
Natural fibres such as cotton, wool, silk. They are so much easier to work with than many manmade fibres.





3) Do you have a favourite colour?
I have several, mostly natural colours, but I am mostly drawn to purples when choosing my clothing.

4) What good are your five senses to you?
Nose, often picks up the smells that indicate things are off. Doesn’t like the copious amounts of artificial perfumes that people insist on wearing. Loves natural perfumes.
Eyes, constantly observing everything.
Ears, always listening for new ideas. Innocent conversations of others can be so inspiring.
Touch, absolutely vital. My fingertips pick up when things are not right with what I am working on. They also enjoy the tactile experience of different textiles .
Taste, no microwave and ready meals for me. My creation spills over to the kitchen and I love the taste of real food.

5) Why the need to make things?
It has always been an integral part of me. Whether workroom, kitchen, watching t.v. I love the experience of will it work? and then seeing the different stages and marvelling how the finished project is often quite different from the original intention. My bears and friends always seem to create their own personality as they grow.



6) What is your most ambitious project at the moment?
Creating enough bears and friends for a four day Christmas craft fair.

7) What is your pet (non-creative!) addiction?
Politics. Not just the party political stuff but the day to day stuff that affects us all on a daily basis. My ultimate hope is that we can all be more civil and considerate of each other regardless of what part of the earth we inhabit.

No comments: